It’s a Wonderful Wednesday!

Jacob D. reports:  We read Shortcut. The reason I picked Shortcut is because we didn’t read it yet and because I like it.  I knew that they wouldn’t get killed by the train!  I get stuck by briars all the time.

Jacob chose Shortcut, but today I chose Bigmama’s.  Both autobiographical books are by Donald Crews, one of my favorite African American authors.  You just have to read Bigmama’s before Shortcut.  It details the setting in which Shortcut takes place.  I love the details of Bigmama’s yard.  It brings back memories of my grandfather’s old home place in Alto, La.  We had barnyard animals to explore, but there was the worm bed, the pond, the summer house, the barn, the pasture, and so much else to occupy our Sunday afternoons.  Wow, this book conjures up so many good memories of that place!    Thanks for the trip Donald Crews!

farm at Alto, Louisiana

my grandfather’s farm in Alto, Louisiana

One thought on “It’s a Wonderful Wednesday!

1. mrspatterson

Hi Wonderful Ones! Donald Crews is one of my favorite authors too! AND Shortcut and Bigmammas are two of his books that I love. I have a wooden train whistle that I like to blow when I read these to my class. Hey I think I will go get those books out right now!